What burger are you?
Take the Beefitarian™ exclusive quiz and get answers!
Take the quiz now!
Slow-Cooker Beef and Barley Stew
Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes
This comfort filled, savory stew is packed with protein and whole grains, and is beyond easy to prepare for those busy fall and winter nights.
- 1 TB olive oil
- 1 LB stew meat, cut into 1” cubes
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cups beef stock
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 3 TB tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 TB Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- ½ cup pearl barley, rinsed
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Generously season beef with kosher salt and pepper.
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Heat olive oil and brown meat in batches. Drain off fat.
- Place browned meat in 4–6-quart slow cooker.
- Add onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots, celery, beef stock, red wine, tomato paste, bay leaves, mustard, thyme, and rosemary. Stir to incorporate.
- Add barley, cover, and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Turn heat to low and cook for 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve hot with fresh parsley sprinkled over the top.
Did You Try This Recipe?
Pics or it didn’t happen! Use the hashtag #beefitarian so we can make you beefamous, and possibly send you some free swag.
Think your recipe is better? Send it our way, and our panel of experts (Frank in Accounting) will put it to the test! You impress Frank and you make it on to website.
Submit Your Recipe