Vote in the
City Showdown NOW!
San Antonio Big Red Beef Barbacoa
Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
For the barbacoa
- 2 lb top round, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ cup Big Red
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, pureed
- 1 lime, juiced
For the toppings (optional)
- ¼ cup red onions, sliced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a heavy bottomed pot with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, garlic powder, paprika, cloves, and salt and pepper to taste. Generously season beef with mixture and toss to coat.
4. Add meat to hot pot and brown on all sides.
- Add meat to hot pot and brown on all sides.
- Add Big Red, beef broth, chipotle in adobo puree, and lime juice. Cover and cook over medium low heat for 4 hours, until meat is fork tender.
- Shred meat.
- Serve barbacoa topped with onions, cilantro, and lime wedges with warm tortillas.
Did You Try This Recipe?
Pics or it didn’t happen! Use the hashtag #beefitarian so we can make you beefamous, and possibly send you some free swag.
Think your recipe is better? Send it our way, and our panel of experts (Frank in Accounting) will put it to the test! You impress Frank and you make it on to website.
Submit Your Recipe